Preparing the Whole Family for Kindergarten
The Waltham Family School is a comprehensive family literacy program that dramatically improves educational opportunities for children by integrating early childhood, adult education and parenting skills.
We serve families with lowest levels of income and education:
- 60% of parents have a 6th grade education or less in their home countries, and several have never had the opportunity to attend school before.
- 100% meet HUD low or very low income guidelines
- 82% of parents are from Central and South America, with others from Asia and Africa.
- A highly trained and dedicated staff.
- Thousands of volunteer hours from Bentley University, Brandeis University, and community volunteers.
- Support from the Waltham Public Schools, the City of Waltham, the Waltham Partnership for Youth, and other community partners.
- The financial support of caring donors.
We exhibit demonstrated success:
- In 2011, the first 23 graduates of the WFS preschool entered middle school. 46% of them are on the honor roll!
- In 2013, the second WFS adult graduate earned her GED in English.
- In 2015, the first 5 graduates of the WFS preschool graduated from Waltham High School.