Preparing the Whole Family for Kindergarten
The Waltham Family School is a comprehensive family literacy program that dramatically improves educational opportunities for children by integrating early childhood, adult education and parenting skills.
We serve families with the lowest levels of income and education:
- 60% of parents have a 6th grade education or less in their home countries, and several have never had the opportunity to attend school before.
- 100% meet HUD low or very low income guidelines
- 82% of parents are from Central and South America, with others from Asia and Africa.
- A highly trained and dedicated staff.
- Thousands of volunteer hours from Bentley University, Brandeis University, and community volunteers.
- Support from the Waltham Public Schools, the City of Waltham, the Waltham Partnership for Youth, and other community partners.
- The financial support of caring donors.
We exhibit demonstrated success:
- In 2011, the first 23 graduates of the WFS preschool entered middle school. 46% of them are on the honor roll!
- In 2013, the second WFS adult graduate earned her GED in English.
- In 2015, the first 5 graduates of the WFS preschool graduated from Waltham High School – all career and college ready!
- In 2020, a record number–10!–of the Waltham High School graduates began as preschoolers at the WFS.